Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saturday Laundry Day!


Saturdays were known as Laundry day, when I was growing up. It started early and most Saturdays took all day. The electric washing machines were rare back in the 1950‘s. My mom had the Montgomery Ward Washing Roller Machine.
I started helping my mom do the laundry when I was very young…six or seven years old I think. I remember watching her use the ringer washer, where the tub had these two ringers (rollers) on top and you would put the cloths between the ringers and then the ringers would squeeze the water out as it turned and rolled them through the two rollers. Then you would drain the water out of the tub and start with the rinse water, doing the same thing. I was fascinated by how it worked. One day I was helping her and as I put some clothes in the ringer my hand went between the ringer with the clothes and it just kelp going, pulling it in deeper. It hurt and I was screaming for help. It took a few minutes for my mom to get my hand free, but it felt like forever. Sorry to say these washing machines were not very kid friendly. I also remember her using a wash board, it was made from wood and glass. You would put soap on the clothes, then rub them on the boards glass ridges. It would somehow help get the clothes clean when heavily soiled. I still have that wash board to this day…it is at my daughters house in storage!
I have to admit, I do like new technology and the Machine Age. The washing Machines today, agitate and spin the clothes around in the tub. They are much safer to use, you just choose the settings, put soap and the clothes in and push start. You can walk away and it will buzz when its done. Now laundry can be done any day of the week and finished in about 2 hours (depending on how much laundry you have to do). I’m just thankful we never had to take the clothes down to the creek and beat them on a rock, like was done before my mom’s time.
A friend recently wrote to me that his daughter, apparently still believes the hamper does the laundry - you drop it in the hamper and it appears later folded on your bed.
Haha… I never looked at laundry like that before. (done by the laundry basket or hamper).

trm Copyright 2010

No comments: