Thursday, November 29, 2012

Popping Eggs!


 

Popping Eggs!

I decided to have Egg Salad Sandwich for lunch today. So I put 6 eggs in a six quart pan. Poured cold water in, enough to cover the eggs at least an inch. Added a half teaspoon of salt. This helps prevent eggs from cracking while boiling also makes them easier to peel. Put the burner on high to bring water to a boil.
My next step did not happen...
(to remove the pan from the heat, and reduce the heat to low, then return the pan to the burner, let simmer for a minute. After a minute remove the pan from the heat again. Cover, and let set 10 minutes.)
...Because, I took my coffee I was drinking and went up stairs to answer my cell phone that I had left there. I talked a minute or two then checked my messages and forgot all about the boiling eggs.
After a few minutes I heard this 'pop' sound. I thought it came from outside and ignored it. Then a few minutes more heard another 'pop' then another.
So I went down stairs to check it out. As soon as I got down stairs I remembered the eggs. I could smell a sulphuric smell.
As I walked in the kitchen another egg 'popped'.
What a mess, pieces of eggs were all over the stove. Some in the floor too. I threw out the burnt eggs left in the pan and started cleaning the mess up.
Then I opened the door and windows to get the smell out of the apartment.
Needless to say I did not get to eat my egg salad sandwich!
trm

No comments: